Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The East Coast's Steamy Springtime

Sujata Massey


T-shirt weather in February!

“Want to go for a walk?”

My daughter surprised me with this request last week. During the Baltimore winter, nobody in the family walks together--even the dog doesn't want to be out more than five minutes.

While Maryland winters are not fierce like the seasons I spent in Minnesota, they are still cold. There are always a few snowfalls and a cold wind blowing off the Atlantic. The difference between winter in Maryland and other places is that the damp wind can chill you to the bones. February is a good month for making soup.

It certainly hasn’t been the usual kind of February. Last December, meteorologists predicted this would be another warm winter, just like 2016. The forces at work were an especially strong El Nino wind and an Arctic Oscillation, a stream of winds above Canada and Alaska that has chosen to trap the cold weather far to the north of us. The US Geological Survey says spring arrived to the Washington DC area 22 days early.

I'm not ready to say that we are in spring (official date of Spring Equinox is March 20). In Baltimore--an hour's drive from DC--this winter brought only a slight, powdered-sugar style dusting of snow: less than an inch. The mountainous areas in Western Maryland where people ski had a tremendous melt of the small amount of snow that fell.  The ski resorts are all but closed up for the season, when they ordinarily would have had business for at least another month. It's weird. Just like the active calls of birds to each other, seeking mates, just a little bit too early.

When I say this is a hot winter, I mean that it’s been like California on many days. My husband, perhaps out of loyalty to his birthplace, says it's a "New Orleans winter." Instead of the typical temperatures in the '30s, it's been in the 60s and 70s Fahrenheit for many days in the past weeks. It reached 77 last Friday when I went walking with the dog and my daughter. At Johns Hopkins, the school set up signs encouraging students to practice mindfulness while outdoors. The staff arranged beach chairs to encourage meditating in nature, but the Hopkins students seemed more intent on getting to class.


No time to sit and sun oneself at Hopkins!






daffodils springing up at Johns Hopkins Homewood campus




For me, the national news has been so chilling, that the warm weather gives me a sort of fragile happiness—the feeling that life still is good. Walking in nature is good for mental health, as well as physical. 

I invited my husband to walk with me last Sunday afternoon and we took a 45 minute stroll through the neighborhood. Crocus in February are par for the course. However, we saw sights we would normally not see for a month: magnolia trees in bud, and pink hellebores in bloom. I planted a few hundred bulbs in my own garden around Thanksgiving week, and they are starting to show their faces. That seems hardly enough time underground to get their roots established.



magnolia buds 








hellebores



Apparently Japanese apricot trees and some early-blooming cherry trees are already in flower. I’m worried that a cold snap will kill the display; just as I feel nervous for any birds laying eggs. I also wonder what might happen if birds and rabbits decide to procreate early. Could their eggs survive a freeze?



well-naturalized crocuses



My fingers are crossed that the steamy early spring will not lead to a silent spring later on.

3 comments:

  1. I keep waiting for the other (snow) shoe to drop, but it doesn't seem to want to happen. So much for the Farmers' Almanac predicting a colder than normal winter, with the snowiest periods late January, mid-to-late February, and early to mid-March.

    About as good as the political prognosticators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even over here, our rain is slightly warmer. A writer pal who lives right on the coast was sitting outside drinking wine last Saturday night,( OK she was still wrapped in a duvet but you get the picture.)
    And, as you may know, people who walk dogs, or who go for walks in nature, have no need for mindfulness classes or meditation - they do that as they walk - and they suffer less mental health issues. ( World Health Organisation said that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sujata, my heart does not know how to respond. On the one hand, if this is a symptom of climate change (as I think it is) it's a bit scary. On the other hand, I am praying the mild weather moves up to NYC in time for my arrival midMonth.

    ReplyDelete